Terrier tracks: Show me your t*ts!

Terrier tracks

Personal Records
  • 1 mile - 7:20 - October 11, 2008 - St Clement Long Stride - Jamaica, NY
  • 5k - 25:35 - June 1, 2008 - FPYC 25 Furlongs (5k) Race - Floral Park, NY
  • 4 miles - 33:32 - December 3, 2006 - Fly With the Owls 4 mile Run - Lynbrook, NY
  • 5 miles - 42:50 - Apr 27, 2008 - Alley Pond 5 Mile Challenge - Alley Pond Park, Queens, NY
  • 10k - 55:11 - May 19, 2007 - Healthy Kidney 10k - Central Park, NY
  • 15k - 1:39.28 - March 11, 2007 - Colon Cancer Challenge 15k - Central Park, NY
  • 10 miles - 1:38.28 - May 25, 2008 - Long Beach Trophy Run 10M - Long Beach, NY
  • Half Marathon - 2:05.48 - July 27, 2008 - NYC Half Marathon - New York, NY
2009 Races
  • Feb 21 - GLIRC 3 x 2 Trail Relay - 17:20 for my 2 mile leg
  • Mar 1 - Coogan's Salsa, Blues & Shamrocks 5k - 26:29
  • Mar 15 - John Corrigan 4 x 2 Relay - 16:21 for my 2 mile leg
  • Apr 11 - Scotland Homecoming 10k - 56:37
  • Apr 26 - Alley Pond 5 Mile Challenge - 47:44
  • May 16 - Healthy Kidney 10k - 57:13
  • May 27 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:17 - 1st in Age
  • May 30 - Japan Day 4M - 35:28
  • June 7 - Mini 10k - 57:31
  • June 10 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 26:57 - 3rd in Age
  • June 24 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:18
  • July 1 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:30 - 1st in Age
  • July 4 - Oakdale Firecracker 5k - 26:28
  • July 5 - Massapequa Firecracker 5k - 26:42
  • Aug 16 - NYC Half Marathon - 2:07:58
  • Aug 26 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:32
  • Sept 12 - Ocean to Sound 50M Relay - 5th leg - 55:56
  • Oct 4 - P.O. Gary Farley 5k - 27:16
  • Oct 11 - Get to the Point 5k - 26:46
  • Oct 25 - Totten Trot 5k - 27:09
  • Nov 8 - Blazing Trails 4-Autism 4M - 36:16
  • Nov 15 - Mineola Mustang 5k - 27:34
  • Nov 22 - Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k - 27:29 - 3rd in Age
  • Nov 27 - Run Your Turkey Off 4k - 20:56 - 2nd in Age
  • Dec 5 - Seaford Hot Chocolate 5k - 27:15
  • Dec 13 - TRRC Couples Race - 1st leg - 18:21, team: 32:41
  • Dec 19 - Ho Ho Ho Holiday 5k - 28:11
ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Resource Center

Subscribe with Bloglines

Get Firefox!




Kleercut.net



The WeatherPixie


Other things

 Subscribe in a reader

Check out our Frappr!

Listed on BlogShares Personal Blogs Blog Directory

Saturday, May 03, 2008
Show me your t*ts!

The title will be explained later.
Two great race weekends. Last weekend was my club's race - Alley Pond 5 Mile Challenge.
Woke up early to get to the park around 7:30am. Greeted my fellow Striders who were there setting up. Spent a few hours helping with stuff...line control, questions regarding the race. Spotted quite a few familiar faces. All the local clubs had people there--Forest Park RR, Hellgate RR, New Hyde Park, Long Island RR,

, Quantum Feet

College Point RR

and quite a few others. I spotted a familiar face in a Forest Park singlet--Alex, a fellow blogger came with his family. It was great to meet him. He did a nice write up of our race over on his blog.
I ran well. The first mile was a little slow - 8:50, probably because of the big hill in the first quarter of a mile. The second and third mile went in a speedy 8:25 and 8:13. But then I got to the 4th mile. There are some rolling hills that climb right up to the 4 mile marker. I really felt like I was slogging and the time reflects it - 9:10. Right at about the 4 mile marker, though, there is a big downhill. I used it to gain some speed and felt a second wind coming on. I managed a mile in 8:11, for a total time for the 5 miles of 42:50 - a new PR!
I hung around the finish line and cheered on some of the later finishers. We had a great turnout. 276 people finished the race. That's at least a recent high total, if not the highest ever. The prez wanted to get a big number and we really pushed the promo on the race this year. I plastered it all over the internet and applications were left at every race site. That combined with the good luck of having the NYRR Brooklyn Half Marathon moved from the day before to the weekend after helped immensely.
Today was another race, the Riker's Island 5k. Riker's Island is an unusual place for a race, because Riker's Island is a prison. The New York City Department of Corrections operates this detention facility for approx. 15000 inmates. I had to do this one.
I met some fellow Striders at the Park in the morning so that we could carpool over to the race. The race starts on the 'mainland' in Queens. Spectators and our baggage had to be brought over by bus and everyone had to get their hand stamped so we would be allowed back out of the facility. I'm guessing they don't really care if you want to go over and stay there, they're just making sure that only non-prisoners can get back out.
There was a large group from the Striders at the race. The shorter distance brings out the walkers and a lot of runners who don't often race were there, as well.
The first mile of the race is over the bridge onto the island. This is the biggest hill in the course. I managed to get the first mile in 8:37. I was loosening up -- really need to warm up before these short races! The weather was cool and the wind was brisk. I probably could have managed a faster time for this race if I hadn't been fighting the wind for most of it.
By the second mile, I found a couple of Striders and settled in with them. Clipped off the second mile in a faster 8:24. The course winds through the prison. You are surrounded by fenced in yard areas bristling with barbed wire. It's surreal.
Towards the end of mile 3 you pass this large building that is about 30 feet from the course. Apparently, the inmates can see you running by at this point. I had been told that the prisoners call out to you during the race. There were a few guys running in front of me who got a lot of shouts of encouragement from inside. Well, since it was in Spanish, I'm assuming it was encouragement. As I ran into view, I started to hear some shouts directed at me. That is when I heard my title phrase. Let me tell you, I thought for a moment of stopping and lifting my shirt, but it passed really quickly and I continued by without acknowledging the supportive cheers.
My finish time was 26:20--another PR for me! They had a really nice finisher's medal, with moving parts! and a barbecue set up by the Correction Officers. I stood on line for the first hotdog I've had in some time and socialized with some of the other runners.
Once the results were posted I found my name--I had also finished 2nd in my age group! I got a trophy! When they presented the trophies, they actually had one of those step podiums like at the big races. So I got a trophy and I got to stand up with the 1st place and 3rd place ladies in my age group and get our picture taken. It was kind of cool.
Alley Pond managed to get quite a few awards, including sweeping the Men's 70+ age group. Congrats to my fellow Striders.

Labels: , ,

posted by DebbieJRT @ 8:41 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 5/04/2008 7:49 AM, Blogger Marci said…

    hahahha! And I thought you were doing a race in New Orleans! Great going Deb.

     
  • At 5/05/2008 9:23 AM, Blogger Machine. said…

    Wow! You kicked ass, Deb!!! Great job!
    Good thing for you your race wasn't on WOW (Whip it Out Wednesday), or you might have followed through with your fabric shedding exercise after all!
    Great race report and I think I might have to consider that run next year too!

     
  • At 5/18/2008 5:28 PM, Blogger Cris said…

    Nice job, Debbie

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: DebbieJRT
Home: Bellerose, New York, United States
About Me: crotchety cross stitcher, trying to channel my inner athlete
See my complete profile
My Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dpesa. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Blogs
Running and Tri Blogs
Podcasts I Enjoy
Links
Webrings

Stitching Bloggers
Power By Ringsurf



Previous | Next

Archives
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER