Terrier tracks: Marathon weekend

Terrier tracks

Personal Records
  • 1 mile - 7:20 - October 11, 2008 - St Clement Long Stride - Jamaica, NY
  • 5k - 25:35 - June 1, 2008 - FPYC 25 Furlongs (5k) Race - Floral Park, NY
  • 4 miles - 33:32 - December 3, 2006 - Fly With the Owls 4 mile Run - Lynbrook, NY
  • 5 miles - 42:50 - Apr 27, 2008 - Alley Pond 5 Mile Challenge - Alley Pond Park, Queens, NY
  • 10k - 55:11 - May 19, 2007 - Healthy Kidney 10k - Central Park, NY
  • 15k - 1:39.28 - March 11, 2007 - Colon Cancer Challenge 15k - Central Park, NY
  • 10 miles - 1:38.28 - May 25, 2008 - Long Beach Trophy Run 10M - Long Beach, NY
  • Half Marathon - 2:05.48 - July 27, 2008 - NYC Half Marathon - New York, NY
2009 Races
  • Feb 21 - GLIRC 3 x 2 Trail Relay - 17:20 for my 2 mile leg
  • Mar 1 - Coogan's Salsa, Blues & Shamrocks 5k - 26:29
  • Mar 15 - John Corrigan 4 x 2 Relay - 16:21 for my 2 mile leg
  • Apr 11 - Scotland Homecoming 10k - 56:37
  • Apr 26 - Alley Pond 5 Mile Challenge - 47:44
  • May 16 - Healthy Kidney 10k - 57:13
  • May 27 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:17 - 1st in Age
  • May 30 - Japan Day 4M - 35:28
  • June 7 - Mini 10k - 57:31
  • June 10 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 26:57 - 3rd in Age
  • June 24 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:18
  • July 1 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:30 - 1st in Age
  • July 4 - Oakdale Firecracker 5k - 26:28
  • July 5 - Massapequa Firecracker 5k - 26:42
  • Aug 16 - NYC Half Marathon - 2:07:58
  • Aug 26 - LIRRC Summer Series 5k - 27:32
  • Sept 12 - Ocean to Sound 50M Relay - 5th leg - 55:56
  • Oct 4 - P.O. Gary Farley 5k - 27:16
  • Oct 11 - Get to the Point 5k - 26:46
  • Oct 25 - Totten Trot 5k - 27:09
  • Nov 8 - Blazing Trails 4-Autism 4M - 36:16
  • Nov 15 - Mineola Mustang 5k - 27:34
  • Nov 22 - Great Prostate Cancer Challenge 5k - 27:29 - 3rd in Age
  • Nov 27 - Run Your Turkey Off 4k - 20:56 - 2nd in Age
  • Dec 5 - Seaford Hot Chocolate 5k - 27:15
  • Dec 13 - TRRC Couples Race - 1st leg - 18:21, team: 32:41
  • Dec 19 - Ho Ho Ho Holiday 5k - 28:11
ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Resource Center

Subscribe with Bloglines

Get Firefox!


The WeatherPixie

Other things

 Subscribe in a reader

Check out our Frappr!

Listed on BlogShares Personal Blogs Blog Directory

Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Marathon weekend
I'm just going to post a little about how I spent this past weekend. Unfortunately, there are no pictures - I forgot my camera when I could have taken pictures and was way too busy the rest of the time. The photos that are here were found on the CoolRunning.com website. There was a photographer at our water/aid station on Sunday morning and I guess he was working for them.

Friday I decided to take the day off of work to go check out the Expo. I had volunteered to help on Saturday and rather than have to get there really early to look around and then stay to work the rest of the day, I decided to dedicate a day just to looking around.

I got in to the city some time after noon and grabbed lunch at Chipotle. It was pretty crowded with people who appeared to also be in town for the marathon in some capacity. Walked over to Jacob Javits Center and located the expo. They moved it within the center this year and I was thinking this would be better for me the next day. Last year I spent the entire afternoon outside the convention center directing runners to the proper place to pick up their number. I enjoyed interacting with all the people and was hoping to do the same thing this year. I figured I'd at least be able to do that from the inside this time.

The expo was interesting. I walked around picking up advertisements for all the other marathons and the various running related products that were featured. I tasted Gu for the first time - not as bad as I had heard, but I'm not sure if I would enjoy downing an entire package of the stuff. I picked up a couple of long-sleeved running tops and tried to chat with someone in the Asics booth about the new Evolutions - they 'upgraded' the model and I was interested in what exactly was different. The person in the booth was decidedly unhelpful. I think I spent about 2 hours and then decided to leave.

Saturday I headed back into Manhattan for the noon to 5 shift that I had volunteered for. Headed straight to the volunteer office and got my little badge. No shirt, no hat, no nothing. I asked the woman where I should report. She just told me to go and look for someone in a red jacket. I asked the first person I saw in said jacket and he looked at me like I was speaking in tongues. I told him that I was supposed to be a marshall so he pointed me to another man who just said to stand here and point people to where the expo was being held. This proved difficult. First, there was another expo going on in the convention center. In the hall where the marathon expo had been held last year. A lot of those who had attended last year were trying to enter that expo - which had an admission fee and a security guard who was getting annoyed with all the people who kept asking her where the marathon expo was. She yelled at me, but I was doing the best I could. If you entered Jacob Javits Center on Saturday between noon and 5 and you came in on the bottom floor, I was the lady in green yelling my head off at anyone who looked like they might be there for the marathon. Amazingly, a great many people walked right by me and tried to enter the other expo. This might have been easier if I had looked like a marathon volunteer. But maybe not. I probably would have answered a lot fewer questions about the other expo. It was very exasperating.

After 5 hours, without any breaks and with hardly any voice left, I called Chelly who was supposed to be attending the expo. We had made plans to do dinner that evening. When I found her, she was with Jenny and her sister, Mary. Mary was running on Sunday. I told her where I thought I would be and that I would try and keep an eye out. They went home to rest up for the race and Chelly and I went for more Mexican food.

Sunday morning I headed over to the mile 14 aid station. My volunteer designation was something that the volunteer office had called '5 Boro Roving Volunteer Team'. No one knew what the heck that was, including the volunteer office. After signing up for what appeared to be a special volunteer designation, I was told just to go to one of the two aid stations in Queens and help out where they most needed help. ::Sigh:: They already had everything worked out - coordinators were there to run things and local boy scout, girl scout and school groups actually man the stations. I tried to explain what I was told to do, but they had no clue. But since I had obviously volunteered to do something, they told me that I could help. I just jumped in and took the initiative to do anything that looked like it needed doing. This ended up being pouring water into little paper cups for most of the day. Oh yeah, and running herd on a bunch of little boys. The kids just wanted to throw the water on each other and see who could get rid of the most cups of water. They were actually keeping count. This meant that when there wasn't a ton of runners coming through, they got bored. I had to jump out from behind the tables and into the street to make sure some of the wheelchair athletes got their water. Oh yeah, the high school girls were afraid of getting wet. Where do they get these people?

I didn't see much of the race. I did see the leaders and was able to watch a good bit of those runners running at about a 3 hour race pace. I saw Lance and his crew. I spotted Mary, who was about 3 minutes behind Lance - way to go, Mary!! Then it got way too busy to do anything but fill water cups. The only break I would get was when a runner would step over to the curb and I'd ask if they needed help. I opened probably a dozen little packets of pills for tired runners and filled up all kinds of containers with water. All in all, I did have a good time. I'm not sure if I'll do it again next year. I think the NYRR still need to work out the kinks in the volunteer system. But I guess it isn't totally their fault. I get the impression that a lot of people who volunteer either don't come or just show up, get the free stuff and then don't do what is expected of them. Then the few of us who are actually taking it seriously get shafted.

Labels: ,

posted by DebbieJRT @ 11:02 PM  
  • At 11/09/2006 12:56 AM, Blogger Brooklyn said…

    Not all kids are useless. There were a bunch of Boy Scouts out at Staten Island with me and they did their jobs willingly and well. Okay, a couple mostly just wandered around, but the majority of the troop were good. I was surprised, really.

    As for the ADULTS, yes, some are as useless as the zits on my ass. (Disclaimer: I do not actually have zits on my ass.) One of the worst was an older guy at the ID check desks, who was at one of the computer stations. He never actively tried to get people to his station, just sat there in the corner expecting people to find him. And he used the computers to surf the web most of the time anyhow. This, I believe, was the main cause the data network kept crashing. Later, when the last couple of us volunteers on Saturday were staying late to process the couple dozen LATE RUNNERS who couldn't be bothered to show up in the previous 28 hours of expo... well that guy was there and while the rest of us ran around arranging an impromptu check-in/bibs/goodie-bag table, he sat there like a bump on a log. Stupid man.

    Thanks for volunteering, though. You may have felt ineffectual at the expo, but you weren't. I'm sure some people saved precious time by hearing you, instead of heading into the photo expo by mistake.

Post a Comment
<< Home
About Me

Name: DebbieJRT
Home: Bellerose, New York, United States
About Me: crotchety cross stitcher, trying to channel my inner athlete
See my complete profile
My Photos
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dpesa. Make your own badge here.
Previous Post
Running and Tri Blogs
Podcasts I Enjoy

Stitching Bloggers
Power By Ringsurf

Previous | Next

Template by

Free Blogger Templates